How to avoid the summer slump!
During the school year teachers, assistants, and counselors are focused on helping your children learn and grow. But what happens during the summer season when these people are not around? It makes sense that as a parent you would want your child to maintain some level of growth and development over the summer to limit or prevent your child from losing a lot of the skills gained over the last school season. This includes growth and development in the following areas: physically, intellectually, emotionally, and socially.
With that said, one of the absolute best options is to keep your child active is a solid martial arts program such as those offered by Resilient Martial Arts. Whether your child is currently active in a martial arts program, and you are considering giving him/her a break from training over the summer, or you are seeking some sort of activity to get your child involved in, consider the benefits of continued training over the summer before you decide. To make your job easier, we have selected four of the top benefits and provided an overview of each one below.
The benefits that we are going to cover in this report are:
- Maintain and improve physical performance!
- Prevents summer learning loss!
- Provides opportunities for emotional growth!
- Helps strengthen social skills!
Let’s get started!
Benefit 1: Maintain and improve physical performance!
Although it may seem like children are more active over the summer, sometimes the lack of structure can affect their physical skills and performance. Studies show that just two days of structured physical activity over the summer can have a snowball effect on their physical performance. Martial Arts classes are so much fun, that children enjoy the physical workouts even during the summertime.
Did you know?
- Children might experience a loss of fitness levels over the summer because they are snacking more often, and any times out of boredom or lack of supervision. At the same time, some children are less active because they sleep in longer, watch TV longer, play video games longer, etc.
- Our classes include fun activities that boost physical development. In fact, children who train with us year-round practice more at home over the summer since they have more free time to do so. It keeps them on the Belt Promotion cycle, so they do not lose ground to their peers. It also means they will enter the new school year in better physical shape than the previous school year and in peak condition should they choose to participate in school sports!
Benefit 2: Prevents summer learning loss!
Many people have an image of summer being a carefree happy time where “kids can be kids,” and take for granted the benefits of enriching experiences from organized activities. Even just two times per week in a structured program can make a tremendous difference in a child’s intellectual development over the summer. Our classes provide these benefits in a manner that is fun so that kids can still be kids and not lose that carefree and happy summer lifestyle.
Did you know?
- For over a century, scholars have recognized that summer vacation is a period when children’s brain development declines relative to the school year. In fact, studies have shown that children score much lower on standardized tests when they enter the new school season compared to the same tests taken at the end of the previous school year.
- Our classes include activities to boost intellectual stimulation over the summer using trickery, neurobics, and memory development. In fact, children who train over the summer also tend to progress even faster because their brains are not “bogged” down after a long day of academic learning. This means children can enter the next school year even smarter than when they left for the summer break because their working memory and fluid intelligence are expanded to a whole new level of development!
Benefit 3: Provides opportunities for emotional growth and stability!
When the school year ends, children lose a lot of key contributors that boost self-esteem. This leads to less confidence entering the back-to-school season. Resilient Martial Arts is a great environment for building children’s emotional development in a manner that is positive and productive.
Did you know?
- Children that lose self-esteem over the summer enter the new school season with many fears associated with making new friends, meeting new teachers, and bullying.
- Our classes incorporate activities that strengthen children’s emotional outlook. In fact, children that are more confident enter the new school season excited about all the wonderful opportunities that schooling has to offer!
Benefit 4: Helps strengthen social skills!
Following rules are very important, especially over the summer when there are lesser rules that children must follow. This includes proper social behavior. Resilient Martial Arts helps children use proper social behaviors and skills during classes, and those lessons carry over at home.
Did you know?
- Children that do not have proper social development over the summer tend to misbehave when they enter the new school season. At the same time, children that do not have sufficient positive social interaction over the summer enter the new school season with more anxiety.
- Our classes include activities that boost social development. In fact, children who train over the summer tend to be the same students that get glowing behavior reviews from teachers during the first round of parent-teacher conferences. At the same time, children with the best behavior reviews are also statistically the students with the best academic reviews because they are not distracted by the repercussions of poor behavior.
The summer can be a wonderful opportunity to help your child not only enjoy a break from school but at the same time become a better version of themselves as they enter the new school year. What parent would not want to see their child enter the new school year physically, intellectually, emotionally, and socially stronger? Our Martial Arts program could very well be the best investment you make over the summer!
Did you know?
Resilient Martial Arts also provides several ways to help your child keep up with their training if he/she misses classes over the summer, or simply wants more opportunities to train!
We would also be happy to provide at-home training assignments should you want them. These are great planners to use when your child misses a class or wants to practice more at home!
Our goal at Resilient Martial Arts is to assist you and your family in any way that we can to reduce the physical, mental, emotional, and social stressors you are facing.
It takes a village to raise a child and we would be honored to be a part of your incredible life’s journey!
To apply for our program and schedule your child’s free trial, click the button below:
RESILIENT MARTIAL ARTS
6911 Chital Drive
Midlothian, VA 23112
Email: [email protected]
Author: Eric Rangel-Ribeiro
Eric Rangel-Ribeiro is the proud owner alongside Joshua Fracker, Barbara Robinson, and Bernard Robinson of Resilient Martial Arts a World Taekwondo, Kali & SKILLZ Lifetime Gold academy in Midlothian, Virginia. Eric is also a brand ambassador for SKILLZ Worldwide and specializes in working with members of the local Neuro Diverse community. As a leading advocate for adapting Martial Arts Classes for people of all abilities he has partnered with another Martial Arts School owner and each week hosts a show to help other school owners across the country implement programs for Neuro Diverse members of their community.